Sunday 22 January 2017

Guest Design Team for Fernli Designs January 2017

I have had a bad few weeks health wise but Lou from Fernli Designs sent me out a massive box of products to work on and I just loved working with them all x 
I have chosen a few items and I want to share them with you now x
A project share video is live now HERE on my youtube Channel

First up
I made this Basic Open Top Box
which I am now using to store my tools and things in and I adore it, the size is just perfect.
This I also have a tutorial on which is available to watch here



I primed the box initially with american decor acrylic paint which is a chalk finish and the colour was Lace, I then chose the papers from Floral Muse by Dovercraft and adhered them with mod podge, 
I used 2 different pages of the paper one is a larger floral design with butterflies and the other is a smaller floral design pattern which I used on the 2 short sides 
and the full inside of the box including the base,
The outside I kept very minimal design wise as I knew it was going to be used for a functional purpose and didnt want it to get grubby and have bits getting in the way, so I chose a 2" Lace and to disguise the seam I added a sage green coloured satin ribbon, where the ribbon joins I have added a small flower applique, and the center is a small green flat back pearl. Around all the edges I used Inka gold in the colour old silver which is a very pale champagne type colour I also used that along the top edged of the box. I love how it turned out.

Next up is the Tooth Box (Is adorable)

This is the design when you build it
(this picture is © Fernli Design)

This box is being made specifically to hold my grans wedding ring
which is something I cannot wear as my fingers arent as nimble as my grans were,

Anyway lets talk you through what I did once I had built the box
was painted it using Artiste Acrylic paint in the colour Linen 
I then used a small floral design paper (I have no idea where I got it I think it must have been a freebie with a magazine as it was only a small a6 size piece) but I used it to line the outside of the box and also the inside bottom side of the lid and the base of the box
I then chose a small gathered lace and added 2 layers of that and a strand of 6mm cream flatback pearl trim, for the top to decorate I used 3 flowers which I dipped in a solution of pearl spray I made myself from water, alcohol ink (cant remember which colour) and pink gumball perfect pearl powder.
it has gave the flowers a lovely subtle pearl shade in pink very understated just stunning.
I then cut an applique and used 3 leaves and added them next to the small cluster.
I then to finish it off added the sage green accent around the rims I used artiste acrylic paint in the colour sage to get this effect, I think it has worked out perfect.






Then we have my mixed media project
Artist Palette made into a decorative plaque,
I painted the whole palette with American Decor Paint in LACE (the colour)
I then added a thick layer of Dreamweaver crackle paste and left it to dry for 24hrs (doesnt need that long but I had other projects to do so gave it the extra time to set properly)
I then added the napkins with mod podge and then using my finger soaked in mod podge to make it slick I made sure the napkin was worked in properly to the cracks and that once dry they would be visible the napkin once dry was very dark print in places so using the same paint I used for the base coat I added a little bit to water and gave some of the napkin a wash with the watered down paint to tone it down a bit and it worked beautifully. I then took 2 hearts also from Fernli and a butterfly from my stash and added paper to them and sparkled 2 of them up the small heart I used stardust stickles and then a layer of glossy accents to seal it, and the butterfly I used ice crystal glamour dust glitter paint and again sealed it with glossy accents.
the larger heart I didnt coat as I wanted different textures and feel to the whole project.
I decided to accent the project using the same Green as the tooth box Artiste Acrylic paint in Sage Colour, I added that to the clock hands which I then adhered using a stickpin, that I pierced through the palette and bent the pin on the back it worked out perfect. the center of the stick pin I added a white flatback pearl. I also painted the outed rim of the palette and all the wooden bits (hearts and butterfly) I then again watered down a touch of the sage paint and added touches of it to the napkin just to add some more definition to the background.
I chose flowers from my stash in pale cream, white and a soft peach and clustered them some around the hearts and a larger cluster at the bottom opposite corner I added some leaf appliques to that just for the softer look and feel. I then used the ice crystal glamour dust glitter paint and added some sparkle to the flowers.
The tag I used a stamping up paper in a colour that blended with the colour I used as my accent, I chose some sage seam binding and made a small bow, I added a small white satin bow on top and finally added an acrylic leaf and beading trim to the top just as a little more decoration.
This was a LONG project and took me 3 days stopping and starting to complete it as I did do it in stages. But I adore it and the sentiment I chose as it tied in the butterflies (which are my favorite) and the time, it was just perfect.





Lastly we have for now....
The Glue storage tray
I used papers from floral muse, and the paint was latte from Artiste Acrylic I coated the inside 
the paper on the top I sanded back LOTS as I wanted that very worn and distressed look that just works perfectly, I added the inka gold in Old Silver to the edges and around all the circles and then buffed them all x it worked out beautiful, it has no added lace or trims because it is a very functional item and I fully intend on it being well used. 





I hope you enjoy all these products please do pop over and place an order with Fernli, it is a family run business which has amazing customer service and AMAZING prices.

Lots of love and crafty hugs Karen xx







No comments:

Post a Comment